Howard County's Townships and
Their Early Settlements and Towns
Ervin Township was named in honor of Robert Ervin, a native of Kentucky and one of the first associate justices of Howard County, 1844-1851.
- Poplar Grove was a small community containing a post office, a store owned by Coate and Morris, a blacksmith and wagon shop, and a saw mill. Its name is derived from the large and numerous trees which stood where the town is located.
- Other post offices in Ervin Township were Bassett, Kappa, Noble, Ervin, Ridgeway and Noble.
Monroe Township lies within the Seven Mile Strip and was established in 1837.
- New London was laid out by John Lamb and Reuben Edgerton.
- Shanghai Post Office was two miles west of New London
Honey Creek Township was first organized as a part of Clinton County in 1852, mostly in the Seven mile Strip. It became a part of Howard County in 1859.
- Russiaville was laid out in 1844. The first merchant was Martin Burton.
Clay Township was named for Henry Clay of Kentucky. First settler was Joseph Taylor in 1838 on land he thought was in the Seven Mile Strip, but was actually in the Miami Indian Reservation.
Harrison Township was laid out in 1846. The first settler was Martin Crist who came in 1840.
- Alto, named for the victory of General Zachary Taylor over the Mexican General Arista May, 1846, at Palo Alto, was a thriving community.
- West Middleton took its name from William Middleton, who had a store, post office, blacksmith shop and lumber yard.
- Tarkington is another small community marked on some old maps.
Center Township is in the center of Howard County. The county seat is Kokomo, located in the center of the township on both sides of the Wildcat Creek.
Howard Township was named in honor of Tilghman A. Howard, for whom Howard County was named when the name of the county was changed from Richardville.
- Cassville was the first village in the township, laid out by William and Nathan Stanley. It was named in honor of General Lewis Cass of Michigan.
- Vermont was laid out in January, 1848, by Milton Hadley, Charles Ellison kept the first store.
Taylor Township's first settlers were W.S. Rodman and his brother-in-law, Charles Harmon. They cut the way for the wagon to the place where the house was built in 1841.
- Center (Tampico) was laid out in 1852 by Ephram Trabue.
- Hemlock (Terre Hall) was laid out by Asa Parker in 1852.
- Oakford (Fairfield) was laid out by Stephens and Miller in 1852.
- Guy Post Office had a saw mill and is located near Chandler Cemetery.
Liberty Township was established in 1858. Early settlers were Henry Bailey, his sons, David and Levi, and sons-in-law Robert Felton and Elijah Anderson.
- Greentown was surveyed by Austin Sheets, Howard County Surveyor, and laid out April 14, 1848, by C.O. Frye, James Osborne, and Jarvis Seagraves on the site of an old Indian village or clearing.
Jackson Township, named for Andrew Jackson, as it is now, was formed at the March session 1853 by the Board of Commissioners of Howard County.
Union Township was laid out at the March 1853 session by the Howard County Board of Commissioners. David Bailey, son of Henry Bailey (Liberty Township) settled at the forks of the Wildcat Creek in 1842.
- West Liberty
- Phlox P.O.
The great Miami Reserve was a tract of land of about 760,000 acres south of the Wabash River. Miami Chief Jean Baptiste Richardville was a respected leader. On his death in 1841, Francis Lafountaine succeeded him as Head Chief. He was given a section of land at the Rapids of the Wildcat as a reservation. This is the land bought by Foster on which Kokomo now stands.
SEVEN MILE STRIP
Seven Mile Strip was bought from the Miami Indians by the United States Government and transferred to the Indiana Government. The first house in Howard County was built by David Landrum, a Quaker from Tennessee, in 1837 in the "Seven Mile Strip." A flowing well, piped to the side of the road, marks the site.