About the Library
The mission of the Kokomo-Howard County Public Library is to provide dynamic services that encourage the pursuit of education, information, research, and recreation in an inviting and safe environment.
HISTORY OF THE KOKOMO-HOWARD COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY
The library was organized in 1885 as the Kokomo Free Library. In 1905, after building a new library largely funded by Andrew Carnegie, the library was renamed the Carnegie Public Library. From the beginning, the library was governed by the Kokomo School Board, who retained authority until January 1, 1964, when the first library board was appointed. In 1958 the library's name was changed to the Kokomo Public Library. The Carnegie building served until 1965 when construction of the present main library was begun. On January 1, 1983, the library was reorganized to serve the eight western townships of Howard County and the name was changed to the Kokomo-Howard County Public Library. In 1998 the library purchased additional property to the east of the main library building and put a parking lot on the land.
Bookmobile Service to the city began in 1959. Service to county residents through a second bookmobile and South Branch became operational in 1978. The library purchased land for a new South Branch building in 1998 and a new building was opened in August of 2001. The Russiaville Branch was established in June 1989 and a new branch building was constructed in 1997.
More information on the history of the Library can be found in BOOKS ALONG THE WILDCAT by Leonard B. Felkey.